Periods: Mother Nature to Soothe Mother Nature
LET’S TALK ABOUT PERIODS!
In biblical times, and in some parts of the world today, it was/is custom for women to go into seclusion during their periods. In Europe, during the 16th and 17th centuries, menstrual blood was seen as a poison that lead to women becoming emotional and the release of blood was thought to be a release of toxins. Meanwhile, other cultures have seen menstrual blood as a healing remedy or an aphrodisiac, meant to bring love and harmony to relationships. From 2700 BC through Roman times and beyond, hemp was
known to provide comfort to women during their monthly periods.
Whether you find that your period is magical, a pain in the ass, or both, dealing with the hormones, the blood, and the pain can make mother nature’s gift feel like a curse. Luckily, nature has also provided us with tools to ease our suffering.
WHY ARE PERIODS SO PAINFUL?
The uterus is a muscle, and during your monthly period a chemical called prostaglandin causes it to contract and cramp. Prostaglandin is a lipid that cares for injuries and illnesses via the control of inflammation and blood flow. As a part of the healing process, the lipids gather together at sites of tissue damage or infection and try to heal the body by causing inflammation. These lipids will also try to prevent blood loss by causing the muscles in the blood vessel wall to contract.
While prostaglandin is necessary for healthy functioning of the uterus, putting up with the inflammation and the pain is not. Activating the endocannabinoid system (the ECS) with hemp means using your natural inflammation irrigation system, while modifying pain perception.
1. The ECS is responsible for calming inflammation in the body.
2. The ECS affects your perception of pain. CB1 and CB2 receptors (the receptors of the ECS) modulate neurotransmission of pain, therefore inhibiting pain perception.
Basically, the endocannabinoid system is made to soothe pain and inflammation simultaneously. Thankfully, Mother Nature gave us a flower that helps us boost the ECS when we need it most.
WHY ARE MY PERIODS SO EMOTIONAL?
Fluctuating hormones can cause havoc mentally and physically.
“Lower estrogen levels cause serotonin levels to drop precipitously a few days before menstruation, which may be the basis of many PMS symptoms. Low levels of serotonin are implicated in depression, panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder… you’re even more physically sensitive to pain than usual, and more emotionally sensitive to criticism. You’re less resilient in the face of stresses and feel sadder, hungrier, and more scared, tearful, and angsty.”
– Psychiatrist Dr. Julie Holland, in her book Moody Bitches
Also, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) starts to disappear when your period arrives. GABA is an amino acid which works as a neurotransmitter — it inhibits certain brain signals. This physiologically calms the nervous system, easing fear, stress, and anxiety. Today, GABA on its own is actually a very popular supplement because it is not available in many food sources.
The endocannabinoid system brings balance to the mind in times of fluctuation.
★ The ECS’s CB receptors are GABA modulators.
○ Phytol is a diterpene present in hemp extracts through the breakdown of the plant compounds chlorophyll and tocopherol.
○ Phytol increases GABA levels by suppressing the enzyme which degrades GABA.
○ More GABA = More Calm.
★ The ECS heavily influences the HPA axis pathway (the body’s main stress pathway).
Through the regulation of these systems, the endocannabinoid system brings peace to the mind.
CAN CANNABINOIDS HELP ME?
Between weird brain signaling, bleeding, and cramping, women might need a little help from nature herself.
Cannabinoids from hemp (CBD = a cannabinoid) can activate the CB receptors, directly affecting our nervous system, stress pathways, and GABA expression — all of the systems that calm the occasional anxiety, inflammation, or pain — and make it just a bit easier for the physiological functioning of the body.
Cannabinoids are a full body and mind approach to restoring health and wellness.
Using the plants which Mother Nature has provided, give your endocannabinoid system a boost and set it into action to truly nourish the body and the mind when you are in need.
WANT MY PERSONAL PRODUCT RECOMMENDATIONS?
★ Wise Woman Moon Time Bundle
○ MADE FOR WOMEN AND THEIR PERIODS.
○ Included: Wise Woman Comfort Balm, Wise Woman Ritual Bath Soaking Salts, and a Peppermint CBD Hemp Oil tincture.
○ Replenish cannabinoids all over the body so that you are feeling more rejuvenated and nourished than ever.
○ A dream for the body.
★ CBD Suppositories
○ MADE FOR WOMEN AND THEIR PERIODS.
○ Targets the muscles in and around the uterus.
○ Fast acting.
○ Quick absorption via directly entering the bloodstream.
★ Moon Mother Hemp Wise Woman Ritual Bath
○ Skin is the main detoxifier of the body, and in a hot bath, these salts absorb into every inch of the skin. The relief is unlike any comfort you have ever felt before. CBD melts into the muscles and the muscles are brought to balance and homeostasis.
○ Personally, this is my favorite product that we offer generally. I screwed up my back and could not bend or move, so I took a bath with these salts, and everything was just gone — it never came back again. Unbelievable.
○ The best revitalization for an aching body that I could imagine.
★ Literally any of our Salves
○ Instant relief when rubbed into the body.
○ Literally, just wait 10 minutes… I still cannot believe what a topical can do.
○ You barely need any to feel the powers of the hemp!
An Article By Evie Louise
Evie Louise is a recent psychology graduate from New York University. She is a certified in International Cannabinoid Clinical Therapy. Evie sees all forms of the cannabis sativa plant as the future of psychiatry, and hopes to use it in her therapy practice as a full spectrum approach to mental health and wellness.